Wednesday, November 3, 2010

performance art and fluxus

Performance art is one of those things I can't decide how I feel about.  Sometimes I definitely find performances very interesting, but sometimes I think maybe I don't understand the point of certain performances or something...either way I have something to say about some of the links and artists we discussed in class.  First of all, I have loved Yves Klein for a while; I think that his work is elegant and messy and wonderful.  The performances just make his work so much more interesting; I stumbled upon his finished paintings before I discovered how he achieved them.  I'm not into the sea sponge sculptures as much, but I do enjoy Klein.  As for the Vienna Aktionists: I can definitely see where they're coming from, and I do enjoy the concept behind the work; however, I really can't stomach watching a lot of what they're doing.  I don't even know if I can discuss it in detail...I have a pretty responsive gag reflex.  I couldn't do what they're doing, I like the idea behind it - leave it at that.  The Buto dancers are also incredibly interesting.  The way they move and dress is so beautiful and powerful.  I'd love to see a live performance.  Incredible.  The living sculptures of Gilbert and George are also a really interesting concept.  I think it's interesting that this bred a whole sect of street performers who act as living statues for money.  I also really enjoyed Stelarc - obsolete body.  Even though this is another one of those pieces that is really difficult to watch for me, the lack of body fluids being expelled and ingested makes it a bit more watchable than the aktionists.  I found a lot of the performances here really just sort of beautiful in a grotesque kind of way.  The way the suspended bodies look is pretty incredible, it's just thinking about the hooks pulling your skin like that that gives me the willies.  Absolutely beautiful, though.  And I loved the piece where the man is suspended in the corner with his body pressed between two planks of wood.  The aesthetic achieved through this sort of work is really appealing to me.

On to fluxus.  Fluxus is a strange movement...I found information that seemed to contradict other information I found.  From what I gather, though, Fluxus is sort of an anti-art anti-movement.  As opposed to being a true "movement" it is more of a state of mind, a way of working.  Basically, it seems like fluxus artists are just trying to find where the rules and boundaries are, and then push them if or when they are found.  It's like Dada in that it's poking fun at modern art and trying to push the meaning of art, and a bit like Minimalism in the simplicity of the work.  An important aspect of the fluxus mindset is the combination of different medias. It is more of a mindset than a movement, and as time goes on and aesthetics change and technology expands, fluxus artists will still be able to work within their way of thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment